Thursday, April 14, 2011

Is Running Not My Thing?

I bought my first pair of running shoes last year. I have never shown interest in fun runs before and was not really the sporty type so I never did focus on getting one even if I am fond of shoes in general. Plus I like the girly-type shoes, stilettos and straps was my kind of thing.

Anyway, when I started to run as a morning exercise, I noticed that I feel that my legs are beginning to itch. I thought it had something to do with the air or the environment since there are lots of trees in the mini-park which was just five minutes from my house. So whenever I feel it, I stop cause I can't seem to concentrate and would just love to scratch which is bad since it won't look good after I do so. When I run using the treadmill, I don't feel the itchiness. Does that mean I am choosy? That I can only run in gyms? 

Hunny and I with the rest of his cousins were looking forward to joining the NatGeo Run. But due to hectic schedules, it was again - postponed. But what we did was practice Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at the Sports Center. Again, I did feel the itchy sensation. So my doubts grew - am I allergic to something? Or is running not meant for me. My mom had a different idea, she was thinking that maybe I am getting dehydrated or something like that and I should drinks lotsa water or Gatorade to replenish the fluids and electrolytes that my body needs. 
Thankful to technology, I did a little bit of research about this. As I discovered in a running forum the explanation as to why I have been feeling this "thing":

The itching is not on the skin, it's inside the actual limbs. There are millions of tiny capillaries and arteries inside our muscles which expand rapidly due to the demand for more blood that is brought on by exercise. When fit, these capillaries remain open allowing maximum blood passage, but when unfit and inactive they tend to collapse, allowing only minimal blood passage (which is sufficient for a sedentary person however). The rapid expansion of these vessels causes adjacent nerves to send impulses back to the brain which are interpreted as an itch. That's why after a few sessions the sensation tends to go away. Just another indication of increasing fitness levels.

My reaction was..."ahhh, so that's what it was!" With renewed hope that I can still join run or do my morning jogs, it seems to me that the key is just REGULAR exercise. Now I am keeping my fingers crossed.. (tee-hee)

No comments:

Post a Comment